Friday, December 27, 2013

The Decade Project*

Ten years ago I did something crazy. I got my legs waxed for the first time! I wouldn't go through that kind of pain for just anybody. A few hours later, I married a man who was superior to the 'perfect' one I'd invented in my mind from pieces of books and movies. Who knew that short, blonde and funny was more suitable for me than tall, dark and handsome? God knew. [Don't worry, honey, you're way better than "handsome!"]

Bubbles at the reception (2003)
That Saturday, this man committed to love ME... selfish, rude, lazy, mean ol' sinful me. I'm sure he wouldn't have described me that way then, but he's seen all that and more in me over the past decade, and he's loved me anyway. This is a love that I do not deserve. This is a love that mirrors my Father's love for me. And this is a love rooted in the fact that my husband does not love me above all else. His big secret to loving me well?He loves Jesus the most. That is how he derives patience to love me a little more every day, and I am so, so thankful.

Here's to many more Dunlap decades together!


*The "Decades" Project was a High School assignment Rocky & I completed together in the 11th grade covering the 1960s. (Photo from 1998)

3 comments:

ashley said...

Beautiful. Congratulations!

geeky Heather said...

CONGRATULATIONS you guys!!!!!!

Michelle Hardy said...

Will and I will celebrate our "decade" in two days. It is an amazing blessing to be married to someone "equally yoked" and to share in all God has for each of you. Congrats on the job and the move and your wonderful family!