It's just such pleasant writing! I can't put my finger on exactly what it is I like about Mr. Martel's style, but I know I like it. Did I mention I have the Tomislav Torjanac illustrated version? (I know - I really splurged on this one!) What a beautiful gift every 10 pages! It's really a big deal that I'm reading an illustrated version. I was taught to use my imagination when reading and to avoid another reader's mental picture until I had developed my own (this might explain why, in my mid-twenties, I still have such a vivid imagination that I can't watch scary movies). I decided to purchase this illustrated version after hearing a Between the Lines interview with both the author and illustrator. I have not been disappointed. I really hope the rest of the story holds up to this strong opening... stay tuned!
Monday, January 21, 2008
Life of Pi
50 pages into Life of Pi and I'm hooked. It's a much faster read than Lion of God (choosing to read a story about a tiger after reading one about a lion was pure coincidence... or was it?... I'm not sure I believe in coincidences anymore). I've related very strongly to all the zoo references at the beginning of the book and, so far, would recommend it to my fellow ZA docents. I also think it wouldn't hurt for people who are confused about the recent tragedy at the San Francisco Zoo to read the first 10 chapters of this book. It may shed some light and silence some critics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Ooooo...if I give you five signed references on the extremely good care I take of books, can I borrow this someday??
Post a Comment