Wednesday, February 12, 2014

February Do.Read.Learn.Be Goals

My initial draft of goals for February needed a serious overhaul - hence the delay in publishing them! Our home renovation has forced us to live a nomadic lifestyle since December. Two winter storms that have blasted through the southern US have delayed renovation progress a bit, but I'm still holding out hope that we can finish and move back in before our little man arrives in May!

February includes Valentine's Day and National Marriage Week (Feb. 7-14) so I tried to theme many of my goals for the month around my marriage.

Do: 
  • Make Rocky's valentine with Lydia
  • Exercise/stretch at the YMCA pool & practice Yoga Booty Ballet DVD weekly (I did this while pregnant with L and it was great!)
  • Visit High Museum & Zoo with Lydia (take advantage of those memberships!)
  • Write blog post about renovation progress
  • Make decisions about:
    • Paint colors (guest bath, office, kid rooms upstairs)
    • Kitchen counter-top
    • Kitchen island design
    • Sofa re-upholstery (for the rehab of my grandma's sofa!)
    • Buy rugs (50% complete!)
    • Bathroom toilet, sink & vanity
    • Organize a "cleaning party" and/or a "painting party"

Read:

Learn: 
  • Memorize Revelation 19:7


Praying I can more consistently keep "readiness" in mind!

Be:
  • I want to be someone who prioritizes my marriage! It's so easy to let quality time together slide... especially once kids enter the picture. We can always find an excuse: lack of money, time needed elsewhere (taking care of kids, or finishing work on the house - all good things!) and before we know it MONTHS pass without a date night or our communication suffers. It's crazy to think that's possible when we spend so much time together, but it happens! Meals together, praying together, and forcing time for just the two of us take effort, and I want to put my energy into that this month!
  • A prayer warrior for marriage. Healthy marriages have many benefits to our society including lowering poverty, increasing lifespan, and increasing happiness. Check out the National Marriage Week website for more fun facts!
Oh! There are so many more things I want to add to this list, but I'm trying to keep things realistic. I don't list many of my mundane weekly tasks, like meal planning, nanny-duties, errands, etc, but those are still happening! Perhaps I should list them just so I can check them off :)

February is a short month. What goals are you making? Do you make lists just so you can check things off?

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I am not doing monthly goals, but my goal for this year was 'MORE' - which isn't a word we typically view as a good thing. However, my goal was To Do More Good. Give more to charities and church, give more time to my youth, and so on. This month I started volunteering with Furkids (basically I get to play with kittens for an hour every week - okay and scoop some poop!) and signed up for the Atlanta Hunger Walk/Run, where I am trying to raise money to feed the hungry in Atlanta! It is amazing what we can accomplish when we prioritize!

Good Luck with your February goals!