| Oh my goodness I can't believe I'm sharing a nursing picture! I'm one of THOSE people! PS - I have a very attention-deprived cat. |
BUT I had 2 big motivators to make it work:
#1 - My mom did it.
#2 - I'm cheap and lazy.
Regarding the first point, I think I turned out okay (don't comment if you disagree :p). If my mom breastfed me then I figure I should do the same for my daughter, so she'll be motivated to try it with her kids.
Regarding the second point, I am painfully cheap after quitting my job at an amazing company. Breastfeeding is free. Have you priced formula at the grocery store? Sheesh! No way! I am also not a fan of spending extra time awake in the middle of the night preparing bottles... especially knowing that I'd already be sleep-deprived from having a newborn. That's the lazy part. I've never liked doing dishes. Do I want to be washing 12 bottles a day? No, thank you. Breastfeeding offers the easiest clean-up... although I've since learned it can be a little messy!
Then, of course, there are all the scientific studies on how "Breast is Best" and there's that obvious fact that mothers have been breastfeeding their babies since THE BEGINNING OF THE HUMAN RACE. No matter the challenges - they made it work. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here today. So, while I will not harp on any woman who chooses not to breastfeed, I knew I could never forgive myself for not trying. Hence, the boob job.
For anyone who's never experienced it engorgement is just that. It's not the sexy, get-your-husband-excited, kind of big boobs... it's grotesquely abnormal, someone-hit-me-in-the-chest-with-a-baseball-bat kinda boobs. The second morning home from the hospital my always-honest husband declared, "That's not even sexy. It looks like it hurts." And it did. But did I quit nursing? Nope. The solution to engorgement is to nurse even more. That little baby became my lifesaver vacuuming out the extra volume to make me more comfortable. I'd wake her up every two hours during the day to do her job. Now she's an expert. We're a team.
![]() |
| We call this the "milk-coma" face :) |
While in the hospital the first night I practiced every nursing position I'd heard about... cross-cradle, football hold and side-lying. The cross-cradle is now our standard position for daytime feeding. I swear by the side-lying position for night-time feedings... I get so much more sleep that way!
I've determined that success at breastfeeding is based on the mother's DECISION to make it work. This is also how I feel about natural childbirth. It's all mental. It's like running a marathon or training for a triathlon. I will not criticize anybody who chooses not to breastfeed - or go for a non-medicated childbirth - just like I don't walk around criticizing people for not running marathons. But I know that I'm a pretty wimpy person and after I set my mind to do these things I never looked back. I guess that means I have to suck it up and start that triathlon training now, huh?
Fun fact: It takes more muscles for a baby to breastfeed than to suck on a bottle. A baby uses 40 facial muscles to breastfeed effectively and only 4 to suck on a bottle! Cute little cheeks and mouths are the result!

1 comment:
I LOVED breastfeeding too, Maria. I am glad that it is working out well for you. And I did love love love my new larger boobs! But there are plenty of non-decision reasons why a woman could not. Some women have inverted or oddly shaped nipples - I've seen them. Some women have to be on medication that makes breastfeeding dangerous for the baby. Some babies have physical limitations as well. Some women are poor and have no education or support and so don't know how to get a proper latch. You are well educated, have access to knowledge and support, are in good health, are young etc. etc. etc. Of course working hard and stubbornness help, but they are no guarantee. And more women should post breastfeeding pics - nothing to be ashamed about a baby eating. :)
Post a Comment