Friday, June 22, 2012

Diaper Daze: Intro

Diapers. Honestly, I didn't give them much thought before I had a kid. I had a friend recommend that I try cloth diapers. Then I looked at the price of disposables. Plenty of people have run the numbers to show that cloth diapers save you money over time - especially when used by multiple kids. Of course, there's also the fact that it takes 500 years for a single disposable diaper to biodegrade! Sheesh. Disposable diapers were invented in the 1940s. That means not a single one of them has completely broken down yet. Ick to the nth.

The thing that really pushed me over the edge to try cloth diapers... they are SO CUTE.

See:
FuzziBunz in Apple Green

I decided I wanted to purchase a few to try them with my new baby. After searching online for 5 minutes I was overwhelmed by the variety of modern cloth diapers available. I was going to have to learn the acronyms other moms used to describe them. It felt like learning a new language. CD, AIO, OS, BG, FB... seriously?!?! I signed up for a class taught by my friend and neighbor, Lisa, to help me decide if this was going to be worth it. In class, I had the opportunity to see and feel different cloth diapers for comparison.

I was convinced. I had to give cloth a chance.

With gift cards I was able to purchase a few different brands for comparison. The majority of the diapers I purchased were FuzziBunz. They were the cutest, softest, best fitting for a kid who wasn't super-chunky. I created a diaper spreadsheet. I am a nerd. Worse. I am proud to be a nerd. I stuffed and organized my diapers. See:


One of the baskets under the changing table dedicated to cloth!

After our baby girl was born I was slow to start using them. They were cute, and I didn't want her to "ruin" them. Ha! When diaper changes became a little less-frequent (about the time the little one hit 2 months), I started experimenting with the different diapers I had collected. I now have a plenty of opinions about diaper brands and care. I also have the notion that EVERY MOM should try using them!

I plan to share my thoughts in a series of posts entitled Diaper Daze. Stay tuned!

*I've come to believe in the benefits of cloth diapers so much that I've signed-up to be an affiliate with FuzziBunz! Ask me about them!*

No comments: