I've been grumbling (again). I must confess I've spent more time the last 2 months grumbling over what I don't have, can't do, won't start, can't finish instead of bringing my sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving before the Lord for the abundance with which he's blessed me. Bahhumbug. I've been a Scrooge.
But God...
Is faithful even in my unfaithfulness, and he's caused my heart to well-up this week and focus on the amazing blessings around me:
#1 - My salvation in Christ - the only think that makes my pathetic attempt at bringing thanksgiving to God worth anything.
#2 - My husband - Whose self-sacrificial spirit has caused him to wrestle between schoolwork and service to me and our family. I'm so thankful for his devotion to both as he learns to balance them.
#3 - My daughter - Whose nap makes this post possible. Really, I am one of those parents who thinks my child is a super-star - definitely not sinless or perfect - but brilliant, cute, funny, and silly.
#4 - My sister - Who may never realize how much and older sister can look up to a younger one. What an amazing best-friend, mom-friend, sister-in-Christ I have been blessed with. I wish that for all sisters.
#5 - My brother-in-law - Whose skyrocketing spiritual growth has spurred me to go deeper and crave more of the Word.
#6 - My mother-in-law - One whom the Lord uses mightily to encourage me with memorized scripture, give me rest by playing with my baby, and pray intensely for her son.
#7 - My father - Who has taken the circumstances God has given him and not been crushed or defeated, but in his weakness has allowed God to shine powerfully through his actions. His generosity knows no bounds, and watching him tickle my toddler melts my heart.
#8 - My RCC church family - The molding influence that God used to show me what true community means. Thank you for letting us go in love to share what we've learned with others.
#9 - My CCE church family - Being embraced by this new family has been such a comfort and blessing.
#10 - BSF - Bible Study Fellowship - Transforming my knowledge of the Word, and thereby my faith. I am not the same person I was 8 years ago because of how God has used this study in my life.
#11 - My neighbors - I live on the best street. You may laugh if you know our history here, but truly I have the coolest neighbors. The sit-on-the-front-porch-and-chat kind of neighbors. The can-I-have-a-cup-of-sugar and I'll-get-your-mail kind of neighbors. It just keeps getting better.
#12 - My grandma - 92-years-young and yesterday while she was sweeping her patio she stopped to pick a flower to give to her great-granddaughter.
#13 - My girlfriends - As I was bemoaning the lonely existence of being a stay-at-home mom over the past few weeks these friends have come alongside me to encourage me, remind me of my blessings, call me out on my pity-party, and meet my needs for meaningful friendships.
#14 - My house - The source of much of my grumbling is being morphed - by God's grace - into one of my greatest joys. I used to say I spent so many hours "stuck" at home, and I'm learning to say that I'm now spending those hours "serving," "worshiping," and "praising" God for the little home he's given me to steward.
#15 - My garden - Which is still pumping out peppers, tomatoes, radishes, and herbs.
#16 - My spiritual formation group - 6 ladies who've challenged and encouraged me to step out and put my faith into action.
#17 - GiGi - Whose unconditional love radiates to make you feel like you always belonged to her.
#18 - My aunts - Who shower me with little notes, baby gifts, and fill the gap that my mom can't fill.
#19 - My mom - For reminding me daily that it's not all about me.
#20 - My cats - Who demonstrate the importance of rest.
#21 - Whoever planted the 3 crepe myrtles in front of my house - They are beautiful year round. They are the biggest crepe myrtles I've ever seen. Thank you.
#22 - My sister-in-law and her sweet husband - For reminding me of the joys of being a newlywed, and for Lydia's squeaky shoes.
#23 - The pumpkin pie Wonderful Wick candle - I cannot find another one of you anywhere, and you make my kitchen smell SO good I can almost convince myself I've been baking.
#24 - Naps - And their end, which means it's time to play!
No comments:
Post a Comment