Friday, January 31, 2014

January Do.Read.Learn.Be. Goals (Follow-up) and GIVEAWAY

The Do.Read.Learn.Be goal model has proven to be pretty useful for me. I feel like I set myself up for success in January by listing simple, measurable goals and not over-doing it. I'm especially pleased that I accomplished 100% of the reading goals I set. Perhaps I can challenge myself more in February... keeping in mind it is a short month and I'll be entering my 3rd trimester near the end of it!

Check out the updated list below to see how I did.

Do:
  • support 2 of my new momma friends by taking them meals (Finished! One mom got carrot & butternut squash soup and the other got an apple-butter pork chop meal.)
  • make a clothing donation to Refuge (Finished! AND I organized/purged and have a second donation bag ready to drop off this week! If you're local, they need 12 month+ baby clothes.)
  • sew snaps onto Lydia's fairy wings (Scratched... turns out the toddler prefers the floppy wings)
  • surprise little projects - can't give this one away! (Finished!)
  • pray for Baby #2 (Ongoing... my placenta previa appears to be resolving, so that's a huge PRAISE!)
  • Re-start Friday-night Date-Night plan (book sitters & use gift cards from Christmas)  (33% - We accomplished one date night since my initial post by attending Friday Night Jazz at the High Museum. This outing doubled as a chance to catch up with an old friend, so it wasn't super-romantic, but fun. A cold, and then the nasty weather, kept us home the other two weekends. Big plans to improve on this one next month!)
  • Attend Toddler Thursdays at the High Museum with Lydia (33% - We went to the first one, but my nanny schedule and weather issues in Atlanta prevented us from attending the other two.)
  • Home Renovation tasks:
    • choose bathroom tile, vanity, toilet, sink, paint colors (20% - We have purchased bathroom tile! The b&w hex design harkens back to the 1920s when our home was originally built. I'm really struggling with finding a small vanity that I like...)
    • choose kitchen back-splash & order cabinets (design is complete) (50% - The cabinet order is in stock. They're just waiting on us to finish floors & drywall. I have no idea about the back-splash yet.)
    • place order for custom island (Unfinished, but not urgent)
    • order oven (Finished today! Sears is having a sale!)
    • order fridge, dishwasher and microwave (Finished!)
Read:

Learn:
  • Memorize Psalm 127 (Mostly finished... I need accountability on this, so I'm going to start asking people to quiz me.)

Be: 
  • Intentional about prayer time & time alone with the Lord (like Jesus in Matthew 14) - I think mornings will work best for this. I've been waking up earlier than everybody else in the house anyway at this point in my pregnancy, and I haven't been using that extra time effectively. (Improving. I was really consistent with this for about a week, and then I got some pregnancy-insomnia which lead to sleeping in. I began using nap-time as my quiet time, and then the Snowpocalypse hit Atlanta and we were all home - all day - for 3 days straight... not a lot of alone time. Grace, grace, grace.)
  • An advocate for the sanctity of life - Through my reading choices, support of Refuge, and my expanding tummy - a great conversation starter! :)  I'm excited about the conversations I was able to have this month and encouraged that people are asking questions about why they believe what they believe. I've ordered more copies of Why Pro-Life? to distribute to interested friends. See giveaway info below.

I'm excited to post my February goals! I plan to focus on marriage... which I think fits nicely with Valentine's Day. I love checking things off on a list (I'm an ESFJ). Publishing my goals really motivates me to follow up with them. I'm enjoying this experiment so far.

GIVEAWAY: Two Dunlap Station readers will win paperback copies of Randy Alcorn's little book Why Pro-Life?: Caring for the Unborn and their Mothers. I've become educated on the topic of abortion relatively recently (over the past 3 years) and now spreading knowledge about it has truly become one of my passions. This book is a quick read. I found the arguments succinct and helpful.

"Why Pro-Life? offers factual answers to the central issues of the abortion debate in a concise, non-abrasive way. Infused with grace and compassion, and grounded in medical science and psychological studies, Randy Alcorn presents a solid case for defending both unborn children and their mothers. For those on the fence in the midst of the abortion debate, this book will be a great resource as it clearly and thoroughly examines the pro-life position. For those who are pro-life already, this book is an encouragement to be intelligently and graciously informed."
To enter, leave a comment about how you're setting goals for yourself or what you're passionate about sharing with others. Contest will end on Friday, February 7, 2014. I will randomly choose 2 winners and mail them copies of the book!

So, how about you? Did you set goals for the month? How'd you do?

3 comments:

Bethany C. said...

Right now my husband and I are passionate about sharing heathy ways with others--inspiring people to exercise/run, cutting back on meat and animal products, etc.
Fun that you have giveaways on here now! :)

Stephanie N said...

My focus that last couple months has been to increase my awareness of the people around me (grocery store, gas station, wherever) and make ti count for something. Here in the North it's just not a part of their lives. So I've also been trying to encourage others to live this way as well. Thanks for sharing this goal setting plan. It will certainly help me stay more on track. :)

Unknown said...

Is that you Stephanie Noll?? David and I have had the same convictions recently about the people you "do life" with unintentionally...especially at the grocery store where you see some of the same employees ALL the time. Why do we live so far apart again!? :o)

Maria, this is not my way of entering your give-away...I don't think sisters count in contests like this anyway! Plus, we all know how long it takes me to read a book. :-/